The existing internal layout was stripped back to the original 1950’s plan, opening up the principal corridor as the primary circulation route. Open plan workstations were arranged closest to the south facade windows, allowing plenty of daylight and fresh air in. There was still a strong cultural need for shared and individual offices – these were enclosed by glazed partitions.
We used natural, warm, inviting colour highlights against a predominantly crisp white palette to invigorate and update the department look. Contemporary furniture and fittings and environmental graphics provide a fresh feel and identity within the different departmental zones.
As the new work and study environment fosters a more direct interface between the different users, the isolation and passivity of traditional work environments is a thing of the past. Active engagement and participation is now inherent and further enhanced by easy access to technology.